Ah fall! The time when budgets run lean and you find the kismet space between holiday short and long-lead pitching. “What’s that? There’s a moment to breathe in PR?!” I know – shocker, but truthfully, the PR game ebbs and flows – scratch that, rages and flows! So when you have a few moments to organize your desk, perfectly e-file your e-mail and take care of some fall housekeeping before 2016 planning sucks you back in, you take it.
A lot of PR girls take this time in the year to do a few things for themselves, like leave the office before 7/8PM, go on vacation. However, I have always admired those that have used the time to seek out new skills opportunities and “reset” their PR selves up for the homestretch and mark the year a raving success. (They get double caf’s at Starbucks).
So in the spirit of pressing on I decided what better way than to honor the lull with a list of PR goals. Consider this my career take on Mackenzie’s 100 in 1001. An inspiring list of attainable and achievable mini-goals only my list wont be as long. Update: after making this list, 18 seemed to be the perfect number to round out a successful 2016.
The below goals are tailored to the next four months to not only set myself up for success but help me to explore new opportunities and turn me into the double-caf drinking girl I always new I could/should be!
Housekeeping – The offline stuff!
- Take 1 night to order sushi, crack open a bottle of wine and OVERHAUL my outlook inbox
Redesign my desk(Oct. 11)
- Buy a laptop stand
Media Relations – The PR dating game.
- Take an influencer, reporter or broadcast producer out every week till December 15th. Total: 15 meetings. Then we pour hot toddy’s and rest.
Develop a killer 2016 influencer plan(and sell it in!) (Pt. 1 10/21) Put client in the middle of a trending story(10/5)
- Land 5 Gift Guide placements
Secure one morning show placement – solo!(10/19)
Account Management – Herding the flock.
Take ownership of a project I’ve never worked on before(10/12)
- Present campaign results to client
- Finish out my 2015 campaign with better results than its start.
- Help a junior staffer run point on a project and oversee progress.
- Teach an AAE five easy PR shortcuts that will make his or her life easier.
- Do my time entry – EVERY DAY. (We’re going to go for 80% accuracy on this one!)
- Come in under budget, at least once!
Career – moving forward.
- Get promoted – again.
- Present an influencer practice case study to my office.
- Lead a consumer group meeting. (250 people.)
/ / / /
Want to see a few other goals? Well as a part of this month’s B Bar Link Up I’ve teamed up with 38 other bloggers to set some homestretch milestones and have highlighted a few favorites below.
| Annie Reeves | 26 and Not Counting | Alyssa J Freitas | Carly Blogs | Feathers and Stripes | Carrie Loves | White Oak Creative | PRBlonde | Sequins & Strawberries | Pieced Together | PreppyPanache | Knowing Kelly | Something Good | Life By Bri | My Beauty Cloud | La Vie Petite | Wealthy in Health | White Cabana | Mrs. on the Move | Boys and Bombshells | She’s All Smiles | Life Modifier | Everyday Cuvée | A Little Leopard | Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough | L is for Lucy | Cori’s Corner | Beauty and the Pitch | Dreams and Colour Schemes | Viciloves | Lights Camera Catwalk | Pattern Me Pretty | A Few of My Favorite Things | Chic Glamorous and Splendid | StyledbyKesha | Suzy Speaks | Luv in the Bubble | The Minimalist |
\ \ \ \
What are your career goals? Create your own tweet me your list and I’ll share your post here!